National Green Corps & State Eco-Clubs Programme
The Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate change, Government of India initiated a major programme for creating environmental awareness among school children by formulating National Green Corps programme (NGC). Under ecoclub programme, Eco-clubs are being set up in 250 schools under NGC and 200 schools under state eco clubs for each District. KSCSTE is the Nodal agency for implementing NGC and State Eco club activities in Kerala. KSCSTE provides financial assistance for creating eco-clubs in all Govt. and Aided schools from 2012 onwards. About 3500 eco-club schools registered under NGC and 2250 schools under State Eco-club programme.
- The programme aims at creating awareness among school students for environmental conservation and sustainable development across the country.
- It also aims to sensitise and nurture students on nature conservation leading towards positive environmental actions at different levels.
- A financial assistance of Rs. 5,000/- per school will be provided under this programme annually.For the district level monitoring financial assistance of Rs 25,000/- per district is also provided
- Activities to be undertaken by students: - Awareness on solid waste management through waste segregation (biodegradable and non-biodegradable) and based on 4Rs i.e. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Recover, Celebration of important environmental days in schools such as World Environment Day, World Wetland Day, Earth Day, etc. (By organising debates, quiz, slogan competitions, drawing/poster competitions etc, on the related theme). Ecoclubs are encouraged to setup rain water harvesting units, solar power plants, biogas units, Vegetable Garden, Biodiversity gardens, butterfly garden in their campuses and also to organise Cleanliness drives in and around the school campus etc
All registered schools in the State under State Government, CBSE and ICSC are eligible to form eco-clubs in the schools and getting registered through District Implementation and Monitoring Committee.The Eco-club in school and college will be headed by the Principal or their nominee. The structure should include the Eco-club Coordinator and Eco-club Monitor in each class.About 50-100 students can become the members of each eco-club.
State Coordinator NGC
Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment
Sasthra Bhavan, Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram 695004
Tel: ++91 + 471 2548213, Fax: ++91 + 471 2540085
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://ngc.nic.in
- List of schools under NGC
- List of District coordinators
- School reporting format
- DIMC reporting format